Metro Detroit Alumni Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide a distinguished merit scholarship to current high school seniors from the metropolitan Detroit area that will be entering GVSU as freshmen. Student receiving the award will have demonstrated their commitment to academic work.
- Entering freshmen from Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, Washtenaw or St. Clair County
- Grade point average of 3.5 or greater and an ACT score of 24 or SAT score of 1110
GVSU must be the first college or university attended after high school graduation
- Be enrolled full-time during award year
Renewal Criteria: Scholarship is non-renewable
- Supplemental Questions
- What county are you from?
- Please submit a typed, two-page maximum, personal essay. Include in the essay who you are and why you want to attend Grand Valley State University, and your personal interests and professional goals. Do not, however, merely list activities, honors and awards, since you have already done this above. Instead, help the Scholarship Committee understand your uniqueness. To accomplish this, please write in the first person (use “I”). Try to make yourself come to life as a person and as a future Grand Valley student. Remember that committee members read many applications. You must make them understand why they should choose you for the scholarship rather than someone else whose record on paper might appear almost identical to your own. Your essay weighs heavily in the committee’s decision.