Social Work Minority Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded based on minority status as defined by being a person of color and the student’s ability to articulate their commitment to advocating for social justice for minority populations in their community.
MSW applicants must have degree-seeking status and have completed four core courses or have Advanced Standing
BSW applicants must have degree-seeking status and be a second semester junior or have senior status
- Must have GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be Black/Non-Hispanic, Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or Native American
Renewal Criteria: Non-renewable
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY In order to apply and be considered for this scholarship you must still:
- Submit this application in through myScholarships
- Students must submit a one-page essay, with a cover sheet that includes the name of the scholarship they are applying for, detailing their commitment to advocating for social justice for minority populations in their community, include if you are receiving or have applied for other scholarships. This essay must be turned into the School of Social Work in an envelope.
- Students must also include an unofficial transcript in the same envelop with their essay
- Students must include a letter of recommendation from a community member who can speak to their commitment in this area. Letter of recommendation must be submitted in a sealed envelope to the School of Social Work with the recommendation writer’s signature across the seal.
Please turn in all additional documents required in an envelope (with the subject being the scholarship you are applying for) to:
GVSU-SSW, 3rd Floor
401 West Fulton
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
This fund is in compliance with Prop 2-06 because it was established prior to its passing in 2006. At the donors wishes this fund will continue making awards as originally intended and in return no new gifts to the fund can be accepted.