The Dirk Koning Film and Video/School Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to upper level Film and Video Production majors within the School of Communications who have made or intend to make media that contributes to the improvement of society.
- Must have previously completed and earned 58 credit hours to be eligible to receive this scholarship. Transfer candidates must have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours at GVSU
- Must be accepted and enrolled as a Film and Video major, degree-seeking student
- Recipients shall be making satisfactory academic progress
Renewal Criteria: Scholarships are not automatically renewed, but students may re-apply.
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Film and Video
- Supplemental Questions
- Please provide a personal statement outlining your background, goals, directions and plans after graduation.
- Please attach a 2-3 page essay addressing what you feel needs to be improved in society, and how you have used media tools (or intend to use media) to address this need.
The goal of social action media can be addressed in a variety of ways. Candidates are encouraged to propose other responses to the topic than those listed here. Here are a few possible frameworks.
1. The projected message can address a theme relating to the betterment of society.
2. The student can act as a philanthropist, such as in the donation of media skills for non-profit community or arts agencies.
3. The student can choose to work in methods outside of the mainstream media industry: as an artist, in community media, or as an advocate documentarian.