Barbara H. Padnos International Scholarship
The Barbara H. Padnos International Scholars program is intended to support substantive study abroad programs for GVSU undergraduates. Recognizing the benefit that long-term study abroad can provide to students throughout their lifetimes, the Barbara H. Padnos International Scholars program provides opportunities for students to engage in long-term study, thereby acquiring an in-depth understanding of the language, culture, and values of another country. Ideally, Padnos scholars will spend as much time as possible in the host country/culture. Therefore, only students studying abroad for two semesters or an academic year at one location will be considered eligible, with special consideration for students who have a plan to spend more than 10 months abroad (up to and beyond a full calendar year).
The Padnos Scholar selection process is meant to identify the most promising applicants: those who demonstrate great potential for success through study abroad, as well as those who will positively share their year-abroad experience with others.
- Student must be full time, degree seeking students attending a full year overseas study program
- Student must have earned a minimum of 24 GVSU credits by time of application
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Students must be planning to spend at least two full semesters in the host country/culture, ideally a full calendar year
- Students must be happy to be identified in publicity by Padnos International Center as an awardee
- Students must be making satisfactory academic progress and working toward a degree
- Preference is given to students in the Arts and Humanities
Renewal Criteria: Non-renewable
Applicants must meet the requirements of the specific study abroad program for which they are applying. Study Abroad programs may have different requirements from the requirements of the Barbara H. Padnos International Scholars program. Awards are contingent on the applicant’s acceptance into a study abroad program that is approved by the Barbara H. Padnos International Center.
Students are encouraged to select a study abroad program carefully, with the assistance of the Barbara H. Padnos International Center staff and Department faculty, so that it will be consistent with academic program requirements at GVSU.