The Thompson Working Family Scholarship
This scholarship was established to assist students who might not be able to attend and finish college because of family financial situations.
New incoming, first year, student from a Michigan high school or a new student transferring from a Michigan Community College with at least 30 semester credits
- Admitted as a degree-seeking student who will enroll as a full time student
- Have a demonstrated need for financial assistance, a completed FAFSA is required
- Must have applied for all available federal, state and local assistance, work is included
- Considered as a member of a working family, not necessarily urban or poor
- Preference will be given to students with the largest gap between eligible aid and tuition
- Veterans of any full time U.S. or National Guard military service in excess of one year will have the new first year criteria waived and will have special attention in the process
- Each recipient will be required to perform a minimum of ten hours of community service per semester.
Renewal Criteria: Renewable for up to 3 years for incoming freshman, up to 2 years for transfer students depending on enrollment history. Recipients must maintain good standing and have a cumulative GPA by the end of second semester at GVSU of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale). Meet the University’s standards of academic progress (SAP) and have submitted their verification of service obligation.