The Reister Family
Created in memory of George Jacob Reister and Juliana Knodel Reister who arrived in Ottawa County, Michigan in 1865, settling in Chester Township. Their oldest son, Andreas Reister, bought land in Allendale Township along the Grand River from Loomis Jenison in 1889. He cleared the land and started a fruit farm. This farm, later owned by Andreas’ son, Wilhelm Frederick Edward (Will) Reister, was part of the land acquired for the establishment of Grand Valley State University. The first four buildings at the Main Campus, named for the four Great Lakes around Michigan, stand on this former Reister property.
The family wishes to continue this lasting memory of their forbears, to assist deserving young people attain a degree and to support the educational programs at Grand Valley State University.