Paul C. Miller
Paul C. Miller is the retired former owner and operator of the Paul C. Miller Company, a road construction company in Sparta, Michigan, now headed by his son. Mr. Miller’s gift to Grand Valley State University – scholarship funds for Sparta High School graduates – was prompted by a sense of commitment to the community which gave him his start in business.
Mr. Miller’s career in road development spanned nearly 70 years. His inventiveness, energy, and determination were instrumental in transforming the dusty, single-land trails of the early 1900’s into the modern highways of the 1980’s. He held to patents on machines which were widely used throughout the construction business.
Mr. Miller has also given Grand Valley a major portion of his mineral and rock specimens, which he and his late wife Bonnie gathered on their trips together. On permanent display in Loutit Hall, the collection, donated to the Geology Department, contains over 600 items.